Tuesday 29 December 2020

NAJMA - Qareeb - Closeness (1987, LP)

Najma - Qareeb [1987]

This post is related to the one of the day before yesterday, yes really to Christy Moore [!]. How's that, you might think now, well let me explain.
After the Christy Moore's concert I enjoyed, I wanted to hear much more from him. Didn't have any albums or any other form of recordings by him. So when shortly afterwards I was at a record fair, helping out a friend who had a stall there, I searched between the folk music bins for albums by Christy. To my disappointment couldn't find any, but came across a very interesting looking album by Najma. Who I had never heard about, nor was I especially interested in music from India, but it lookied so good that I bought it. Played it when arriving at home, and really really liked what I heard. It remains upto today a very special record for me.

This time no live nor session recordings, simply because I haven't got any from Najma, so decided to present to you the vinyl through which I discovered her beautiful music many years ago.

Introducing Najma

Najma Akhtar, a British born, singer, songwriter, composer and actor has achieved a place in world music history as one of the true pioneers of uniquely fusing Western and Eastern musical styles. She has recorded many solo albums and is credited in crafting a new musical genre, in which Jazz nuances are blended with the Ghazal (Urdu ballad) and Sufi (Devotional poetry) repertoires.
Her ground-breaking and innovative debut album, ‘Qareeb' (Closeness), remains one of the most important world music albums ever recorded catapulting Najma into the World Music arena.
Even though her music has remained rooted in the Ghazal and other traditional music of her ancestral home, her versatility as a writer and composer can be seen through a vast diverse body of work and artistic collaborations with some of the world’s most influential and credible musicians.
Interested to know more, go to najmaakhtar.com


Listen to the bonustrack [rec.1988.Feb.03 for Charlie Gillett]


NAJMA - Qareeb - Closeness (1987, LP)


a1.Neend Kohyi (6:42) / a2.Jaane Kis Tarhan (6:17) / a3.Dil Laga Ya Yha (5:48) //
b1.Zikar Hai Apna Mehfil (6:29) / b2.Karoon Na Yaad Magar (8:57) / b3.Har Sitam Aap Ka (9:11) //
bonus.Apne Hathon (5:26) recorded 1988.Feb.03 at Capital Radio for Charlie Gillett's 'World of Difference'.


Discography

1986: Ghazals [LP, Last Minute Productions]
1987: Qareeb [LP/CD, Triple Earth Records]
1989: Atish [LP/CD, Triple Earth Records]
1992: Pukar [CD, Ark 21 Records]
1996: Forbidden Kiss - the Songs of S.D.Burman [CD, Last Minute Productions]
2002: Vivid [CD, Last Minute Productions]
2008: Fariyaad - A Plea to the Creator [CD, Choicemusic.nl]
2009: with Gary Lucas - Rishte [2009, World Village]
2020: Five Rivers [CD/LP, Last Minute Productions]


PS: If I remember well Najma has performed at one [or more?] of the Festival au Desert in Mali, dont know exactly when and can't find information now preparing this post. Anyway, may be there are some recordings from, if I find will include links in this post.


by the way NEVER FORGET:

"il faut me pardonner - you must forgive me"

Pap Djah's last words before left on his own in the Sahara desert (in Niger)

No comments:

Post a Comment