|Trio Da Kali - promo picture|
Virtuoso balafon player Lassana Diabate was a long-time member of Toumani Diabate's Symmetric Orchestra and has recorded with Salif Keita, Taj Mahal and many others.
Singer Hawa 'Kasse Mady' Diabate is the daughter of Mali's greatest traditional singer, Kasse Mady Diabate, and the power, range and phrasing of her voice led David Harrington (from Kronos Quartet) to compare her to the late queen of American gospel, Mahalia Jackson. "She even looks like Mahalia," Harrington noted.
Ngoni player Mamadou Kouyate is the eldest son of the instrument's greatest exponent, Bassekou Kouyate and also plays with his father in the band Ngoni Ba.
Long term collaborators, the artists aim to bring to the forefront neglected repertoires and performance styles of the griots, celebrating some of the African continent’s finest, most subtle and sublime music.
setlist*: (intro) / 1. / 2. / (talk and interview) / 3.Kanimba / 4. / 5.Ladilikan / (talk and interview) / 6. / 7. / 8. / (outro)
* no setlist given, only sure titles named (additional titles appreciated)
source: broadcast 2017.Dec.28, Radio WDR3
Line-up: Hawa Kasse Mady Diabate - vocals / Lassana Diabate - musical director, balafon / Mamadou Kouyate - bass ngoni
More about Trio Da Kali:
- Trio Da Kali and Kronos Quartet - Eh Ya Ye (videoclip) BRILLIANT!! Let's dance, who cares about the mud!!
- interview Fode Lassana Diabate (video) - he plays his balafon effortlessly, like caressing the wooden keys with his mallets, goosebumps!!
- Review Ladilikan - with Kronos Quartet (2017.Sep.14, The Guardian)
- Interview Trio Da Kali (2017.Oct.20 - The Guardian)
- Concert 2018.Jan.21 at Musée du Quai Branly (Paris) available at arte.tv (watchable till 2018.Jul.20)